Dr Kunle Hassan's profile
Dr Kunle Hassan MD. FRCS, FRCOph, FWACS, FNICM
Dr. Kunle Hassan is an international acclaimed, Ophthalmic Surgeon with wide experience in Vitreo-Retina Surgery, Glaucoma, Anterior Segment, Cataract and Ocular Plastic Surgery. He graduated from the College of Medicine, University of Lagos, Nigeria in 1976.
He is a Fellow of the Royal College of Surgeon, Glasgow, UK, Royal College of Ophthalmologist, UK, West African College of Surgeons and the Nigeria Institute of Cost Management. He was trained at the prestigious Tenneth Institute of Ophthalmology, Western Infirmary-Glasgow, Scotland, under Professor Wallace Foulds.
His training and experience span over Europe, America, Middle East and Africa. He established the Eye Foundation Hospital as the first Private post-graduate Training institution in Nigeria in 1993 and The Deseret Community Vision Institute in 2006. These two institutions have trained over 50 Ophthalmologists, Community Ophthalmic Nurses and other middle manpower ophthalmic professionals.
He is the pioneer leader of Modern Ophthalmological Practice including Vitreo-Retinal Surgery in Nigeria. Dr. Hassan revolutionised Eye Health Care through Private-Public-Partnership, making quantitative and qualitative Eye care available for both the rich and less privileged.
He pioneered the first Private Group Practice in Ophthalmology in Nigeria. He has over 100 publications, scientific papers and research paper to his honour. He has over the years received more than 30 academic, professional and society awards for his contribution towards different sphere of life. He was awarded the Rotary Paul Harris Award for the recognition of his contribution to the Rotary eye care projects in Nigeria. He is a quiet Philanthropist. His international and corporate portfolios include:
- President, African Ophthalmology Council
- Board Member International Council of Ophthalmology
- International Council of Ophthalmology (ICO) Regional Advocacy Coordinator for Africa.
- Council Member International Agency For The Prevention of Blindness (IAPB/WHO)
- Member & African Representative on the AAO/ICO/WHO-sponsored Global Diabetic Retinopathy Classification Project
- Fellow of the Nigeria Institute of Cost Management
- Ophthalmological Society of Nigeria (OSN)
- Board Member of Diamond Bank Plc, Nigeria
- Chairman, Board of Directors Summit Healthcare Group of Companies
- Board member of Health Partners (HMO) and Deseret International Hospital.
His present special interest is in Community Eye Health, Sustainability of Eye Care projects through Public-PrivatePartnership.