AOC foresees four committees for each of the following sub regions:
- West Africa
- East Africa
- Southern Africa
- Central Africa
The focus of these committees would primarily be on:
- Ophthalmic Education: Help ophthalmologists and allied eyecare providers acquire and maintain the clinical, surgical and practical knowledge, skills and attitudes needed to make quality eye care accessible and affordable.
- Eyecare delivery: Define clinical guidelines and models of ophthalmic practice, as well as courses and other programs to help ophthalmologists implement the guidelines and models and meet the eye care needs of the public.
- Society and Membership Development: Stimulate and support the development of strong, self-sustaining sub-regional and national ophthalmologic societies and help them provide valuable benefits and support to individual ophthalmologists.
- Advocacy and External Relations: Develop and maintain strong relationships and collaboration with international and regional ophthalmologic organizations, NGOs and industry in order to generate greater support for and capacity to provide eye care in Africa.
- AOC Organizational Development: Develop the organizational structure and supporting secretariat and other human and financial resources necessary for the AOC to achieve its goals